From launching Traction Conf to representing Canada at the G20 YEA Summit in Istanbul, 2015 has been a whirlwind year for us at Launch Academy. As the year starts to wind down, we'd like to share some of the year's highlights from our team.
Recap of 2015 at Launch Academy
- We released an updated impact infographic, highlighting our success metrics from the past three years, including helping 350+ startups, who have collectively raised over $57M and created over 635 jobs.
- We brought along a new Community Manager, Maggie Chan; Program Manager, Sam Chan; and Head Instructor for the newly-revamped Lean Entrepreneur Program, Hussein Hallak, making this the largest LA team yet!
- We successfully produced and sold out Traction Conf in both Vancouver and San Francisco, with our partners at Boast Capital and Victory Square Ventures.
- Our CEO Ray Walia represented Canada in the G20 YEA Summit in Istanbul.
- Ray also won the Startup Canada Award for Entrepreneur Promotion.
- Our Chief Strategy Officer, Alex Chuang, was named BCBusiness' 30 Under 30.
- Alex's article on the Vancouver startup ecosystem was published in TechCrunch, and received 3000+ shares.
- This year, Launch Academy has been featured in TechCrunch, BetaKit,Techvibes, Vancity Buzz, Business in Vancouver, Vancouver Observer, Cantech Letter, BC Business, Huffington Post, Metro News, The Globe and Mail and more.
We would be remiss not to mention the amazing achievements that our Launch Academy companies and alumni have accomplished in the last year. While we can't cover them all here, we'd like to celebrate some of these milestones with you:
- TripDelta, VitalSines/iHeart, and Cassia Research won Top 3 at the annual LA Pitch Day.
- CamDo Solutions wins the Wavefront Wireless In-kind Package Prize at theBCIC New Ventures Competition.
- WealthBar help Canadians plan over $500M in investment assets.
- Latergramme named one of Vancouver's top startups to watch, with over 400K connected Instagram accounts.
- Grow (formerly Grouplend) raises over $10.2M in funding, 10 months after launch.
- Mentio was accepted into Seattle Techstars, class of 2015.
- Addo was accepted into the second cohort of The Mill's Startup Acceleratorin Las Vegas.
- TripDelta was named one of Germany's top 25 hottest startups.
- Alexandra Greenhill, founder and CEO of myBestHelper, was named a winner at the Cartier Women’s Initiative Awards in Paris.
- Koho announced their partnership with Visa, Peoples Trust and Galileo, to make banking more affordable, functional and transparent.
- Overcurfew officially launched their adventure game, Tidal Affair: Before the Storm, on Steam.
- LocalSolo curates over 20,000 freelancers to their platform, which connects employers with local talent.
Upcoming in 2016
Lean Entrepreneur Program Starts January 19th!
We've started accepting applications for the first 2016 cohort of the Lean Entrepreneur Program, starting on January 19th - February 11th. Built by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs, this program is designed to take you from startup idea to acquiring your first customer. For this cohort, we're partnering with BTL Group to offer two full scholarships to entrepreneurs interested in blockchain technologies. Learn more.
BC Tech Summit — Launch Academy After Party
Will you be at the BC Tech Summit on Jan 18th-19th? Launch Academy is hosting the official After Party for guests of the two-day event. To get tickets, visit our Launch Academy Pavilion. There are only 250 tickets, and it's first come, first served...so don't forget to check in with us early on!
Lastly, we'd like to thank our community supporters (that's you!) for celebrating with us along the way. We have big plans for 2016 that we can't wait to share with you.
In the meantime, on behalf of the entire Launch Academy family, we wish you and your families a happy holiday. See you in 2016!