The moment has arrived! We're super excited to announce the final student teams who will be spending their summer with us here at Launch Academy! Check out our press release excerpt below! VANCOUVER, BC (June 5th, 2014)— Launch Academy announced today the six finalists of the 2014 Student Startup Challenge.
Launched at the beginning of May, the Student Startup Challenge (SSC) encouraged student entrepreneurs to pitch their startup ideas for a chance to receive three months of office space and mentorship at Launch Academy and compete for up to $5,000 in cash prizes at Launch Academy’s Pitch Day in August.
This year the SSC site received 17 startup videos that went on to accumulate over 2,700 votes. After reviewing the selection, judges Boris Wertz (Version One Ventures), Kiranjit Sidhu (Facebook), Meredith Powell (The Next Big Thing), Jonathan Bixby (GrowLab), and Greg Caws (BCIC) selected the following six finalists:
• Fetch: A platform on which ethical breeders can create beautiful pages, list their litters, and connect with people looking to find the right dog.
• SafeRing: Provides you with a convenient and accessible emergency call button right at your fingertips.
• Loodo Analytics: provides real time customer traffic insights for all retail spaces.
• Blue Perch: Tinder for jobs-- sending jobs straight to your phone so you never have to search for a job again. Simply swipe and apply.
• Cloudy Robotics: A platform that will enable users to get data, see real-time video and control robots from their web browsers.
• Propel Swim School: A custom online registration, CRM, and online report card system that will change the aquatic industry forever.
“The original competition only called for five finalist teams, but the judges were so impressed with the quality of the candidates that we decided to allow an additional team to join us this year rather than hold a tiebreaker round.” explains Managing Director, Alex Chuang.
Last year’s 2013 SSC finalists Cognilab and HelpHub both went on to achieve significant milestones, with HelpHub raising $250,000 from Sora Capital and Cognilab gaining acceptance into GrowLab, one of the top accelerator programs in the country.
“We’re very proud of the success stories that came out of last year’s Student Startup Challenge, and we’re excited to see some great companies emerge from this year’s program once again.” says Launch Academy’s Executive Director Ray Walia. “Building a company isn’t easy, and we’re happy to support students and recent grads in their journeys to becoming amazing entrepreneurs.”
Congrats to all of the finalists and we'll be seeing you soon at Launch Academy!